Caleruega

41.825094, -3.486508

Caleruega destaca por el conjunto monumental de Santo Domingo, una serie de impresionantes monumentos artísticos de valor singular, entre los que destacan:

La Parroquia de San Sebastián data del siglo XII y es de estilo románico. De la original se conserva la entrada a ésta, el campanario y el presbiterio. Dentro podemos encontrar un Cristo en la cruz colgante y varias tallas de santos, entre los que destacan San Sebastián y la Virgen de la Candelaria. También el sepulcro de la Beata Juana, la cual se encontraba anteriormente en una capilla inexistente hoy día. En este templo fue bautizado Santo Domingo.

Apartado de la iglesia parroquial se encuentra el Torreón de los Guzmanes, una torre de defensa construida durante el siglo XII. Poseía unas vidrieras que han sido retiradas con motivo de su restauración. Además son notables sus almenas ya que fueron colocadas durante la construcción del convento, en la década de 1950.

El Convento de los Dominicos data de la década de 1950 del siglo XX siendo pionero el padre Carro. En el interior existe un museo adaptado para los ciegos y tras bajar unas escaleras se encuentra la Bodega de la Beata Juana con una representación de su milagro el cual dice que estando el venerable Félix en la guerra, Juana, su esposa, vació todas las cubas de vino para dárselo a los pobres de la villa. Al llegar el noble ella rezó y las cubas aparecieron llenas de vino nuevamente.

Adyacente al convento se encuentra el Real Monasterio de Santo Domingo de Caleruega habitado por monjas dominicas. Data del siglo XIII y en su origen lo habitaron canónigas de San Agustín, pero tras la canonización de Santo Domingo, el rey Alfonso X el Sabio otorgó a Caleruega el 10 de julio del año 1266 un privilegio rodado en el que se enviaban monjas dominicanas de San Esteban de Gormaz y el Señorío de Caleruega pasaría a las manos de las monjas de este monasterio, siendo en aquel momento la priora Doña Toda Martínez. También es interesante que en el claustro de este monasterio se encuentra el sepulcro de la infanta Leonor, hija de Alfonso X el Sabio y Violante de Aragón, nieta por tanto de Fernando III el Santo y Jaime I el Conquistador.

En la plaza, enfrente de la entrada de la Iglesia de Sto. Domingo y del Monasterio se encuentra una estatua de Santo Domingo con el dedo hacia arriba con ademán de predicador.

Caleruega is famous for the Dominican convent complex of Santo Domingo, a series of impressive and unique artistic monuments of great value. The following are particularly interesting:

San Sebastián parish church, which dates back to the 12th century, is Romanesque in style. Only the entrance, the bell tower and the presbytery have survived into the present day. In its interior it is possible to see Christ’s crucifixion and several carvings of saints, including the carvings of Saint Sebastian and of the Virgin of Candelaria. It is also possible to see the sepulchre of Beata Juana, which used to be placed in the interior of a chapel that does no longer exist. Saint Domingo was baptized in this temple.

The Torreón de Los Guzman [Tower of Los Guzmanes], which is a defensive tower built during the 12th century, is situated at a distance from the church. It was decorated with stained glass windows, though the windows have been removed so as to perform restoration work. The tower battlements, which were placed in the 1950s when the building of the convent- novitiate started, are also outstanding.

The Convento de los Dominicos [Dominican Friars Convent], which was built in the 50s of the 20th century under the prompting of Friar Venancio Carro, harbours a museum adapted to the visually impaired. Beata Juana’s wine-cellar is reached after descending a flight of stairs. According to tradition, this was the place where Beata Juana worked the miracle of the multiplication of the wine she had given away to the poor while her husband, Venerable Felix, was in the war. At his return, Beata Juana prayed and the casks were suddenly refilled with wine. In the wine-cellar, tourists can see a representation of this miracle.

Real Monasterio de Santo Domingo de Caleruega, where Dominican nuns live, is placed next to the Dominican Friars Convent. This nunnery was built in the 13th century and it was originally a monastic residence for Canons Regular of Saint Augustine. Following the canonization of Saint Domingue, King Alfonso X the Wise provided the town of Caleruega a privilege, so that on the 10th July 1266 a group of Dominican nuns from San Esteban de Gormaz were brought there. From there on the Señorío de Caleruega was run by the nuns of this monastery and the prioress was Doña Toda Martínez. Note also that the cloister of this monastery also harbours the sepulchre of infanta Leonor, the daughter of Alfonso X the Wise and of Violante de Aragón, who was, in turn, the granddaughter of Fernando III the Saint and James I the Conqueror.

On the square, opposite the entrance to the church of Santo Domingo and to the Monastery, there is a statue of Saint Domingue pointing upwards, as if preaching. There is an inscription that reads as follows: